Friday, February 21, 2014

A Line out of Australia


Marie Elliott contacted me this week with this letter. Can anyone add to our knowledge on this?

Hi Ked,
I am a great grand daughter of George Pollard, born at Corfe Dorsetshire UK, brother of Joseph Pollard, who migrated to Utah.  On reading about Joseph’s story I am amazed at the hardship of their journey, and now I wonder what it was like for George and Elizabeth (Payne) and their son, Joseph when they sailed to Australia on the ‘Oregon” in 1851.
I would like to be able to print Joseph’s story, do you know how I can do this.?
Lydia is mentioned but not the 2 older sisters, do you know the reason for this?
I would very much like to correspond with you on family stories.

I am Marie Elliot, (Pollard) daughter of Don, grand daughter of John, who was the3rd son and 5th child of George Pollard.
I look forward to hearing from you,
Cheers,Marie

Thank you, Marie for  your interest and information.

3 comments:

  1. I discovered information about George Pollard through the mission journal of my father, LeGrand Pollard Backman. He was the second son of Joseph Pollard's youngest daughter, Grace. On his way to serve a mission in Capetown, South Africa, my father stayed several months with the mission president in Sydney, Australia. Before he left the country, he sought out his grandfather's brother, George Pollard. Because of the unusual town name, Wodonga, I have been able to find information about George and his wife Elizabeth, and several of his sons, daughters and descendants. Dad visited this aged great uncle and met the younger George and several other children. The older George died a few months later.

    I am very interested in learning more about George and Elizabeth's children and posterity in Australia. Please reach me at 1573 Spyglass Hill Drive, Draper, UT 84020 or on Skype at 801-572-2776. I am Legrand's youngest son and I am retiring this summer after being a professor at Brigham Young University for the past 40 years. Thanks,
    Jim Backman

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can anyone give me contact information for Marie Elliot. I would like to contact her. My wife and I are currently in Chorley, England, where I am serving an LDS Church legal service mission and my wife is serving as a temple missionary in the LDS Preston Temple. backmanj@law.byu.edu 801-572-2776.

    ReplyDelete