Tuesday, March 27, 2018

Serendipitous Finds

In recent searches for Mary Ann Bailey Pollard and her parents I have found several confusing or conflicting sources. Both www.familysearch.org and www.ancestry.com have had them. Partly, it is the number of family members interested in learning more about our family; partly - sadly - it is persons unconnected to our history attaching records that may on the surface match, but do not stand up to scrutiny.

I must keep on the lookout to keep from being in the second group. Attention, commitment and patience are required. I can make a slip in any or all three.

Today I tried to verify some entries that I felt were mistaken. This is actually a fun sojourn in family history and I encourage it: if it doesn't seem right to you dig in!

I had help, and that help was greater than I could have imagined. I was at the Family History Library in Salt Lake City on level B-2. I presented the pedigree sheet I had printed up that caused my questions.

I had found that Mary Ann Bailey (Pollard) was born in 1821, her parents James Bailey and Mary Brook were married about 1820 and James Bailey had died about 1818. I needed to find the exact dates to clarify this jumbled family record! Without judgement it is possible that Mary Ann was born up to a year prior to her parents settling the issue with a priest. Life and times have had more than one shift in the last 200 years.

To be born three years after a parent passes away is slightly different. It might be the wrong dates, dates might be "guesstimated", or many other things, including the human relationship factors that we have experienced since time began.

I started with "what I know". Mary Ann provided her family history as needed for LDS ordinance work in Salt Lake City. Her birth date, place of birth, parentage. They could be off but they were given in the first person, so I felt I should trust that.

But I found no corroboration. After a few hours (about three, but less) I did find a marriage record in Lifton, Devonshire, England at the parish church, on the 27 of May 1822 between James Bayly and Mary Williams, a widow. She was of that parish. He was not, but "of Stowford". The marriage was in the presence of William Brok [Brook] and Robert _____.  It was performed by the Curate of the parish.

This was in Find My Past, available in the Library or by subscription. Using www.maps.familysearch.org I was able to find the places and potential for movement of several places in various records. I have - for the moment - surmised that Mary Ann Bailey was born after the marriage of her parents of record, James and Mary, but that Mary had married a Mr. Williams prior so that Mary Ann would have been christened Williams, though later accepted by Mr. Bailey. The  witness William Brok can be Mary's father. A widowed single mother might have moved home of necessity. James and Mary had four children of their marriage christened in Cornwall, near to Lifton, through to 1828. So I know our James Bailey did not pass away in 1818, but his death date still eludes me.

Research in family history is not a one page endeavor. I have had to "just accept" some things sometimes "for now". But I am interested in knowing my history, and while there is time and I am able, I will open that book again and again.

Join me! Open YOUR book! Dive in!

No comments:

Post a Comment