Saturday, July 17, 2010

Generation Three: The Grandchildren

I realize I have yet to let anyone know about this blog. I wanted to be sure I could accomplish my goal: to tell a story about a family in which I am one of the fifth generation; about my great-great grandfather Bishop Joseph Pollard's family.

I have data now for the third generation; does this make a story? Not really. A story needs life- a family story, family life. Memories. Pictures. Tales (tattle, tall, folk etc.) As I get more of this next generation down on paper and up on screen I think I can begin to find addresses and let others -you- in on the project.

Joseph Pollard Evans was the first grandchild, born January 1867. I have found sources that list either the 10th or the 13th of January. He was born in Salt Lake and his obituary says he lived there until 1925, but he is reported with the 1930 federal census in Salt Lake, in this record with wife, daughter and granddaughter.

Joseph married Emma Frances Olson (1869-1955), daughter of Norwegian immigrants on 10 November 1897. Two children survived to adulthood: Joseph Leon (1899-1949) and Emilie Frances (1905-1976). For one son, born 1903 in Salt Lake I have found no record after birth register and the obituaries of neither parent refer to this child.

Joseph's obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune on July 8, 1940 claiming he had been a resident in San Francisco for the past 15 years. Death was due to a heart ailment. He was survived it says by a son, Leon of San Francisco, daughter Mrs. Frances Balfour of San Francisco, five sisters and one grandchild. Funeral services and burial would be in San Francisco. Emma's death notice was also carried in the Tribune and she was survived by Mrs. Frances Balfour of Los Angeles and one granddaughter. She died in Los Angeles of causes incident to age. The California Death Index, 1940-1997 lists her as Emily Frances Olson Evans. Funeral and burial were in Los Angeles.

Second grandchild Mary Ophelia Allred was born July 4, 1868 in Spring City, Sanpete, Utah. I imagine her as slight in features, delicate. I do not know where I get this image unless it is from her death to heart disease at the young age of 25. But she married, had a child, dealt with a husband affected by service in the Spanish American War.

Mary's marriage to George Sigfried Backman is reported in the Western Marriage Record Index (http://abish.byui.edu/ [Special collections]) in two differing notes: 18 Aug 1891, Sanpete Co, vol 2 p 90 and 10 Sep 1891, Sanpete Co, vol 2 p 94. They had one daughter: Lola Juanita Backman (1892-1977).

Mary Ophelia Bachman [sic] is found in the Salt Lake City Death Record Book A, page 88 (FHL film #0026554):
death #3583, certificate #5354, age 25y 4m 26d died at Pollards Court/6th W 4th S on 30 November 1893 by heart disease of 15 month duration.

George Backman, younger brother to Gustave Hilmer Backman was born in Sweden 1866 and died 1908 in Salt Lake City. His death certificate originally stated spotted fever as cause of death, which was struck through and alcoholism then listed below. I recall seeing carved ships that he had made with much detail. A veteran of the Spanish American War, he had served in the Philippines and had become ill during that time. I believe he was a clerk for the railroad, also was involved with his father's tinworks and with the building of the Salt Lake LDS Temple.

No comments:

Post a Comment