Friday, August 13, 2010

Notes Before Moving On

Today I had the frustration and satisfaction that family history research brings: for some time I have had the birth record, located in Utah Archives of a male child born to Joseph Pollard and Emma Frances Olsen Evans on 06/26/1903. I had looked everywhere. No other record, not even a mention. So I have had this un-named son. Perhaps it was a stillbirth- but no, it would not have had the birth record, or at the very least the original would have had a note of such. At the Family History Library in Salt Lake today I asked a professional genealogist on staff here: Where else can I look? She suggested the filmed birth record book- a restricted film- but that added no information. Back at my work materials I wonderd: Would a child be buried with Louisa and Moses at the Salt Lake City Cem? But I have no name. Look anyway. There is a book of burials to 1909 compiled by students of LDS Business College in 1931 on the shelf. Burials are listed by sirname, but in burial date order, and I found no un-named Evans. Louisa and Moses were buried after 1909, so that thought did not pan out. I began with the birth date I do have and determined that I would write down every burial that would coincide with a male Evans born 1903. The first candidate was one Shure Dale Evans, 11 months, buried June 3, 1904. I could not wait and try others!I returned to Utah Archives and put in that name. You can do this as well: http://www.archives.utah.gov (go to name index, put in last name comma first name)and here I find Shure Dale. It took my breath away, I gasped so that the person next to me responded.
Sadly our kin did not survive long, but I -we- can now call his name when we share our love and gratitude for family. I am sad to have blank boxes throughout my record, now I have less.

No comments:

Post a Comment